Friday, February 6, 2009

Real Life Weekend Project- Flip Flap Book

Header_Real_Life_Scrappy_Weekend

Hi Everyone!  This is Jamie and I wanted to post a “real life” project that you all can make – possibly over the weekend – and it will not take up too much of your precious scrappy time.  This flip flap book is a simple and very cute 6x6 mini album project that you can start and finish in very little time.  I made several of these (and taught classes) using a Christmas theme over the holidays.  With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, this project would also make a perfect gift for that special someone.

Here is a list of the supplies you will need:

IMG_8517
Here’s a sample of the cardstock and photos that I used. 

  • 2 sheets of 12x12 cardstock – in my example it is the red.
  • 1 sheet of 12x12 cardstock in a contrasting color – again, in my example this is the black. 
  • A couple sheets of patterned paper and some coordinating embellishments to go along with your theme.

Now let’s get started…

IMG_8518 IMG_8519

The 1st step is to get started with the cutting.  Take 1 sheet of your cardstock and cut to 6x12 inches.  Take the remainder of the cardstock (in my case the red) and cut to 5 ¾x12.  You should have 3 of these when you are done.  Then take your contrasting color (again in my example the black) and cut 4 squares measuring 5½x5½. 

This is what you should have cut with your 3 pieces of 12x12 cardstock.  The red cardstock on the left is the 6x12 piece, which will end up being your cover. 

IMG_8520 

Next step is scoring…

IMG_8522
Take the 3 pieces that you cut to 5¾x12 and score 3 inches from each end – on both sides.

IMG_8523
Next take your bigger cover piece and score at 2¾ inches and 3 inches from each end – on both sides. 

Now comes the assembly…

1st section is the interior pages. 

IMG_8525
Attach the 3 pieces together using adhesive at the 3x5¾ section as shown above.
You will only need adhesive on 2 ends.

Now you get to assemble the cover. 

IMG_8531
Take the 4 square pieces and adhere to outside flaps of your cover.
The key here is to adhere on the outside of your scoring lines. 

Next up you will adhere your cover (large square) to your middle interior pages.  Attach the back of the middle interior page (middle square) to the middle (square) portion of your cover.
**  Sorry!  I forgot to take a picture of this step.  **

The base of your album is now complete and the next step is having fun and using all your fun supplies. 

Now let’s take a look at some actual albums…

 Jamie

I decided to make my project into a mini album/card for my hubby Josh for Valentine’s Day.  We usually do not get each other anything big for V-Day so I thought this was the perfect solution for his gift/card.  I used a lot of coordinating products from the Making Memories Love Story collection that I had in my stash from last year.  I also used these too cute and FREE coupons from Shabby Chic Crafts

Here is the cover…

IMG_8534  
IMG_8535

And a look at a few of the inside pages…

IMG_8537 
IMG_8539
IMG_8542
IMG_8545
IMG_8547 
IMG_8551
And don’t forget to embellish the back cover!

You really do get a lot of bang for your buck with this album.  You will soon realize that there are so many little flips and flaps to decorate and you only used 3 sheets of 12x12 cardstock.  It will amaze you.  I promise!!  I did not even show you all of my pages inside this book – yes there are that many!!

The key is to go ahead and pick out your stash of embellishments – a certain collection or kit – before you get started.  This will save you lots of time in the decorating process.  The rest will come together so quickly and you will have a blast putting your album together.  I think it took me about 2 hours start to finish (including printing photos) to make this one. 

Brianna

Brianna made a flip book to document her love story with her husband and she put some recent photos of their family in it. She used the Love Sparkles Simply Scrappin’ kit, from Stampin’ Up!  I just love the pink and browns that she used + their love story is going to be something that their babies treasure in the years to come. 

IMG_3039

IMG_3046

IMG_3054

IMG_3025 IMG_3029

IMG_3052

IMG_3043 IMG_3040

So that’s it!  We hope you have enjoyed this fun project.  If you decide to tackle your own Flip Flap Book, please leave a comment below or email us – Brianna or Jamie – to show us your album.  We would love to see it. 

Signature_Jamie

2 comments:

Jessica, Calvin and Boomer said...

Wow you girls are very creative!!! They both are very cool! Great ideas

Chris, Kristin, and Emily said...

Thanks for the "directions"!

I did figure it out, but it took me a bit to make Chris' V-day flip book!